My final major project, ‘Favela’, is done! It’s been a long and tiring journey but I’ve enjoyed it so much, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for me in the near future.
After having some well earned rest, my plan is to continue creating designs that excite and encourage me to fulfil my true potential as a Printed Textile Designer.
I’ve been using Mapper today to create some visualisations. It’s exciting to see what my designs would look like if I made them into garments. My collection mainly features baggy t-shirts and light shirts.
I’ve been using Illustrator and Photoshop to develop some of my paintings of bits of rubbish and recycled items used in slums. They are now much more graphic and iconic. I’m excited to see what these prints will look like once they have been enlarged to A0 size or larger.
I’ve decided on a new direction with my paintings. The idea is to place them into shapes contained within my cans and other bits of rubbish featured on my prints. It will be a much more graphic approach to tie both ideas together as currently it feels as if I have two projects on the go. Prints will feature large simple abstract shapes that will contain my paintings.
Image source: My designs have been placed on a model used in a collection by Marni
It has been a bit of a struggle trying to get my paintings onto silk, particularly because the reactive dye printer keeps packing up. However, today I’ve managed to get a few samples done (A3 size) to get an idea of scale. I’m really looking forward to getting these blown up to A1 or bigger. Stay tuned!
>>Watch my paintings being printed here!<<
A sample of one of my paintings onto Silk Satin
I’ve got a new obsession: cross dyeing devore. I’ve been trying so many different colour combinations with silk/viscose fabric. It’s been a bit of a challenge as some dyes don’t work, but some have worked amazingly! I’ll be making my favourites into samples next week so stay tuned!
Some samples of cross dyeing devore